50 ways to be more sustainable and “go green” at work
Ideas for your plant, office, restrooms, breakroom and in the community
Sustainability makes good business sense. Creating a culture of sustainability gives your employees a reason to feel good about their job and “brag” to friends and family about the good things your company is doing. This in turn supports recruitment efforts – people want to work for a company that is environmentally responsible.
Sustainability also goes hand in hand with cost savings. Being more efficient, using less, and cutting down on unnecessary waste can help your company realize significant cost savings.
And finally, sustainability is good for business development and retention, especially as more companies require proof of sustainability up and down their supply chain.
Tips to make your sustainability efforts shine
Sustainability is marathon, not a sprint. Here are some tips to be successful with your ongoing initiatives.
- Establish your baseline and conduct a waste assessment / audit regularly. Consider using a third-party waste management group to assist.
- Set realistic goals. For ideas, check out these 45 Examples of Corporate Sustainability Goals.
- Track and communicate your progress and success often. You can use software tools to track your sustainability, or use simple spreadsheets.
- Create teams within your company. Empower them to effect change.
- Make it fun. Use pictures. Offer incentives. Be creative!
- Make people accountable. Tie their success into performance goals if it makes sense.
- Benchmark against other companies.
- Promote your efforts to all stakeholders. Use social media.
In 2020 we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day, which takes place on April 22, 2020!
Senator Gaylord Nelson created Earth Day in 1970 as a way to force this issue onto the national agenda. Twenty million Americans demonstrated in different U.S. cities, and it worked! In December 1970, Congress authorized the creation of a new federal agency to tackle environmental issues, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
50 sustainability ideas for your business
Let’s get started. Sustainability ideas are sorted by business department. Click on a department below to jump to that section.